Thursday, July 5, 2012

Post Fourth

Hello blog world.

I hope you had a wonderful Fourth of July.  The Fourth of July has always been one of my favorite holidays.  As a little girl one of my favorite memories was going to the fireworks tent just outside the St. Louis County line to buy our "illegal" fireworks.  We would put on our own "show" in our backyard.  We never really bought big fireworks, just cones, fountains, spinners and sparklers...bottle rockets - the basics.  I loved watching my dad set them off every year. 

As a teacher, I am lucky that I get to touch on the American Revolution in social studies.  It is my favorite thing to teach about every year in social studies.  I think it is amazing how our country came to be - that those colonists fought for freedom and won it - against all odds. 

Four years ago Will proposed to me on the Fourth and we watched fireworks together on the hill outside our apartment.  It was such a fitting thing on one of my favorite holidays - and it was just so us.  We've had a lot of low key Fourths since then.  Last year I was pretty pregnant and this year Harper was still not old enough to stay up for any large fireworks shows - plus most of them were cancelled anyway with the dry weather we have been having.  I look forward to a few years from now when Harper and I can be in the backyard with our sparklers that her daddy lights for us. 

Harper, Daddy and Mommy

Firecracker Harper (bow made by Mommy)

Every year after the Fourth summer seems to quickly draw to a close.  I  know I have over a month of summer left technically, but by this time I've usually attended several teacher workshops, been up in my classroom and been making stuff for school - NOT this summer - and I'm starting to feel a little nervous about that.  I love being Mom, but I also still love teaching.  So, after I post this, I'm going to make my teacher to do list.  Even if I don't start crossing things off right away, maybe it will help my anxiety about being behind schedule this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment