Thursday, July 22, 2010

New York City Trip...Day One

A few weeks ago I got to go to New York City on a grant trip with about 35 other teachers in Rockwood, Parkway and Union School Districts. It was pretty cool to see all the sites of New York, but it is definitely not a place I would want to live. I'll keep my .20 acre of land in my little box subdivision. It was a jam packed two days, starting early early in the morning and going late into the evening.

When we first arrived in New York we stopped at Katz's Deli for lunch. Luckily, most of my meals were paid for by the grant - I couldn't believe my lunch there would have cost $15.90 before tax! How do these New Yorkers do it?
Our first big stop was the Tenement House. We got to see an old tenement house during the thriving years of the garment district. It was amazing how some people lived. I just couldn't believe it. So many people living in such a small, dangerous place. Many tenements didn't even have water or restrooms. After we saw the tenement house, we went on a walking tour of the Lower East Side and China Town. It was interesting to see that part of New York!
From there I got to ride the subway for the first time. We got off in Midtown and walked to see where the Today show was filmed.
Then I got to see Times Square!
We saw many other sites as we walked the streets, including the Radio City Music Hall. I love the Rockette's and they have always been a favorite of mine during the Macy's Day Parade. So I decided to snap a shot.
We ended the first day with a visit to Havana, a Cuban restaurant and then we went up in the Empire State Building. I wish my camera would have gotten a better shot at the top!
Oh, and I forgot to add, while in the Lower East Side we saw Zarin Fabrics - for all you Real Housewives of New York City fans!

1 comment:

  1. YOU'RE ALIVE!!! Haha, looks like a great trip. I'm soooo jealous you saw Zarin fabrics. Did you go in and see if Jill was there?? Hope you're having a good summer, enjoy what's left of it :)

    ReplyDelete