Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Got Bags?

I don't know what it is like in your house, but in ours we seem to always have an overabundance of grocery bags in our closet in our kitchen. I save them to pick up Samson's treasures (I wish they were that). They were always falling down when I opened the door. So I had seen somewhere (I think on Etsy) someone who had created a holder for all those plastic bags. I decided this would be a perfect project for my new sewing machine. I used about half a yard of green canvas for the body of the bag and then added this fun strip of fabric to the canvas to give it a little more beauty. I pinned down the strip of fabric and folded the top of the green canvas over so I could sew that as well. Also, I pinned down bottom part of canvas to sew as well (with enough room inside to slide a strip of elastic into it).
After I sewed all of those seams, I folded the canvas in half with the right side of the fabric on the inside and prepared to sew down the open ends.
Once I sewed down the open sides of the fabric, I cut the extra scrap off.
Next, I attached a safety pin to a long strip of elastic and thread it through the wider opening at the bottom of the fabric.
Then, I pulled it tight and sewed it closed and in place.
This way the bags stay in place until you are ready to pull them out.
I attached a ribbon at the top for it to hang from. Here is the finished product, bags and all.
I think it turned out pretty cute and no more bags falling out of the closet!
Overall, I am pretty pleased with my new sewing machine. I do have a lot to still learn on it though...

6 comments:

  1. How cute!! I've been wanting to make one of these. Thanks for the instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial! My grocery bags are out of control too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the bag holder! Mine is priceless as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one of these, and it's probably the craft I use the most!! I love your choice of fabric. So cute!!

    Alison
    http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bag holder!Send me one mmmk? :) I have them stuffed in a cabinet that could be used for something better!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job! I usually just stuff all of my bags in my pantry. I might have to make one for myself now. Super cute! :)

    ReplyDelete